Happy Easter! Here is a great family friendly recipe to try.
These easy-to-prepare lamb meatballs are paired with a creamy, mint dipping sauce. Chopped almonds give them crunch, or substitute with pistachios.
Total Time: 24 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 14 min.
Yield: 5 servings, 4 to 5 meatballs each
Ingredients for Meatballs:
½ cup whole grain panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1 lb. raw 90% lean ground lamb
1 large egg white (2 Tbsp.)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
¼ cup finely chopped raw almonds
¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Sea salt and ground black pepper (optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
Ingredients for Sauce:
½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 to 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
6 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
¼ tsp. ground cumin
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Combine breadcrumbs and almond milk in a large bowl; mix until moistened.
3. Add lamb, egg white, garlic, almonds, mint, parsley, salt (if desired), and pepper (if desired). Use clean hands to mix thoroughly.
4. Shape lamb mixture into balls, about 2 Tbsp. each.
5. Heat a large ovenproof skillet, lightly coated with spray, over medium heat.
6. Add half of meatballs; cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
7. Return all meatballs to skillet; place in oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
8. While meatballs are baking, combine yogurt, lemon juice, mint, and cumin in a small bowl; mix well.
9. Serve meatballs with yogurt sauce.